For all the times your mom took care of you and everyone else, for all the cooking and baking, the cleaning, the laughs and the tears, for all the late night talks – do something special for her this Mother’s Day. Show her how special she is with a home-baked treat that’s just as sweet as she is.
Whether you’re preparing a special breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner, or you simply just want her to enjoy a special dessert, Almond Breeze’s new Classic Chocolate Cake makes for the most decadent and elegant show-stopper on the table. It’s delicious, rich chocolate flavour makes this irresistible lactose-free cake with an almondy-twist the perfect way to spoil mom on her special day. It’s a gift that’s easy to make and one she’s sure to love.
Almond Breeze Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
1 ½ cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
3 tbsp (45 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup (250 mL) granulated white sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
1 tsp (5 mL) distilled white vinegar
1/3 cup (75mL) coconut oil, melted in liquid form
1 cup (250 mL) Almond Breeze Vanilla almond beverage
1 cup (250 mL) semisweet chocolate chips
¼ cup (50 mL) Almond Breeze Vanilla almond beverage
2 tbsp (30 mL) coconut oil, melted in liquid form
1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar
- Preheat oven at 350˚F (180˚C).
- Line an 8” (20 cm) round or square cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients. Mix until well incorporated.
- Add in the Almond Breeze and coconut oil to the dry ingredients and whisk until incorporated. Then add in the vinegar and keep whisking until smooth. Transfer the batter to the cake pan and bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until cooked all the way through; when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Over medium-high heat, bring about an inch of water to boil in a 2-quart (2L) saucepot. Set a medium sized bowl on top of the pot to set up a double boiler. Place the chocolate chips into the bowl to melt. Stir with a spatula until smooth. Slowly mix in the Almond Breeze until incorporated. Then mix in the coconut oil until well combined. Carefully remove the bowl from the heat and add in the icing sugar, half cup (125 mL) at a time. Whisk together with a hand mixer or by hand until smooth. This icing is best kept at room temperature or made just before you are ready to frost the cake. If the icing solidifies before the cake cools, heat it over a double boiler again and stir until it is soft and malleable.
- Once the cake is cooled, pour the frosting on top and spread it over the cake to smooth out. Decorate with fruit, extra powdered sugar and chocolate shavings or enjoy as is.
Per Serving (86g): Calories 349, Fat 12g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 230mg, Carbohydrate 59g, Fiber 1g, Sugars 40g, Protein 3g